The mosaic is finished! All that is left to do is the installation.
Here is the finished mosaic on my workbench. I adhered it to mesh that I will cut up and install in smaller sections.
This is the stairway that leads up into the top of the scaffolding.
This is about half way through the installation. Sections were adhered up using a variety of guidelines. One of my biggest challenges was making sure that the design was in line with the existing mosaic. As you can see here it was successful!
Here is a view showing the “work area”
An nice photo of Rick and I pressing a section up into place
Here Rick and I inspect the edges of the mosaic after we put up the plexiglas to add extra pressure as the thinset cured.
All the jacks we used to hold up the plexiglas. They we so useful for so many parts of this project.
Grouting over head! I love this palette that Rick brought. He said it was his grandfathers. We are working out a trade for one of my palette knives for this great tool!
Tessa would follow me as we worked our way back and forth across the ceiling. She would wipe off as I laid on grout. I had so many people during the course of this installation that helped. Tessa saved me from hours of overhead work!
Staining the new grout to match the rest of the ceiling.
The completed ceiling!
Tessa took this photo looking down out of the scaffolding. At the time Bryn Contracting had put a proposal to the new owner of the Union Trust Build for us to repair the rest of the ceiling. The proposal was accepted and we have completed this section of ceiling. We are now in the process of inspecting the rest of the mosaics in the building to repair and clean them! I’ve been enjoying my trips to the city to work and am looking forward to more trips this summer!